Recruitment
Raid Times
Site Contributions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lerrielin
Co-Guildmaster

re: Transmog Contest Winners and Fashion Show Event Recap

The night of Saturday, August 11, we at Warcraftier held our Fashion Show in conjunction with Pia Presidium's Fall Box Social on the Argent Tournament Grounds, inside the coliseum tent. There, we announced the winners of the Transmog/Costume Contest that was held in the month of July. Our panel of five judges for this contest included both of Warcraftier's co-GMs, namely myself and Tyrilian. The other three judges were chosen based on their time and involvement in the Cenarion Circle community, as well as what we have observed during our years here on CC. They were Plainswander, Abominus, and Gentyl, names that are likely familiar to most of you.

The judges all reviewed every entry multiple times and spent many hours discussing them in great detail. We soon realized that to do the entries justice we should tailor the recognition around exceptional submissions rather than trying to pigeonhole different submissions into different categories. As some folks had entered the contest clearly targeting the example categories that we listed in our original announcement, we ensured that all of those categories were retained. It wasn't hard to find entries that were both exceptional in their own right as well as fit into our original categories.

At the suggestion of Abominus, we came up with a series of "Judges' Honorable Mention Choices" for entries that we all felt were strong, but couldn't be ascribed to any specific category. There were five of these to represent the number of judges.

Prize winners that were able to attend the Fashion Show received their awards on site. Winners that weren't able to attend will receive their awards on 8/18 at the earliest depending on how hard you are to reach. We ask that Horde winners please be patient while we get your awards across faction lines to you.

The following are what we agreed upon as the winners in each of the various categories, along with the explanations and their prizes!

Cutest
Cogadh (Coggie) the Master Engineer and Blacksmith (page 1)
Forum Image
There is something irresistibly adorable about an army gnome. Coggie's transmog pulls off this effect excellently, her outfit in addition appearing almost steampunkish. We were equally impressed by the effort she put into her presentation. Her character information posters are worth checking out. Coggie's prize is a cosmetic pet of her choice (or several totaling up to 10k gold, or 10k gold itself).
Forum Image
Forum Image

Most Creative
Sainshand the kitschy, pre-Space Race sci-fi hero shadow priest (page 1)
Forum Image
This transmog, inspired by "Flash Gordon, skin tights, fins, event horizons, and immaculate uniforms" was a different and unexpected take on WoW character presentation. In addition, Sainshand manages to display creative reinterpretations of his shadow priest abilities, reminding us of the beloved campy effects in sci-fi series of yore (Flash Gordon/Dr. Who/Space 1999 ;p ). Sainshand's prize was being granted a limited wish by Warcraftier. Not to exceed 2 hours of others' time and/or 25k gold. He chose his award following the event.

Most Transformed
Knowles the Pumpkin Farmer (page 3)
Forum Image
We thought that Knowles' transformation from undead holy priest to pumpkin farmer was brilliant. We were also delighted by his description, "An unassuming pumpkin farmer in life, Knowles was thrilled to be given a second chance as a Forsaken." Knowles' prize is 10k gold.

Most Tasteful
Lunaeis the Blue Knight (page 2)
Forum Image
We enjoyed this transmog because of its uniformity and thorough compliance to an overall theme without overly emphasizing one color. The theme ties into Lunaeis' character history, which is: "once his weakness to ice and cold caused him to lose much and ever since has sought out to master this element." In presenting his submission he included numerous screenshots, all of which paid attention to the settings and employed thematically appropriate props. As the truly fashionable already have a complete wardrobe, we decided that Lunaeis' prize would be a Heroic Deathwing title run with us.

Best Copy of Another Class
TIE between
Zorb the Gnome Paladin (page 3)
Forum Image
and Kempachi (Juanfiles) the Paladin-Turned-Death Knight (page 2)
Forum Image
A lot of entries fit into this category, and they were all very good. However, we felt that Zorb and Juanfiles stood out from the rest. We were unable to decide between the two of them. Zorb's gnome paladin transmog gathered every piece of the recolored paladin Tier 2 from various dungeons and the overall appearance looks immaculate, while Juanfiles nailed the Death Knight look down to every last detail by tracking down the offset plate pieces from ICC. On the Crimson Deathcharger with that gear, one would instinctively see a Death Knight. Both of these entries are equally good at conveying the impression that the characters were members of a different class from what they actually are. Juanfiles and Zorb were both awarded 10k gold each at the event.

Funniest
Lovegrove as Dr. Harrold Lovegrove, Gilnean Harvest Witch and Plague Doctor Concerned Alchemist (page 7)
Forum Image
Forum Image
Lovegrove demonstrates that one doesn't have to be level 85 to pull off an awesome look. Lovegrove's entry is inherently funny in that he's a male worgen wearing a dress with a white cloth stretched way too thinly over his long muzzle. His presentation is hilarious as well, with "Plague Doctor" struck out and supplemented by "Concerned Alchemist". Playing along with the guise of sanity despite the truth being very much otherwise, in the second screenshot we see him conversing with an inanimate object, "What's that, my little scalpel? Oh yes, my dear, you're absolutely ravishing." Lovegrove's award is something that we find to be rather funny and whimsical: the Swift Lovebird.

Best Comic Strip
Fioná and the Fashion Genie (page 6)
Forum Image
Fioná did more than dress up for this contest. She created a comic strip and invested a good amount of thought in acting the scenes out. Her creation doesn't stop at showing her various transmogs, but also tells a funny little story that we all enjoyed. Fioná's award is 10k gold.

Deliciousss, Yesss
Melabrin the Red Forsaken Warlock (page 8)
Forum Image
Forum Image
BECAUSE ABOMINUS HAS A NEW CRUSH
Actually, I don't think I can explain Abominus the character's mindset. To the best of my understanding, Abominus would find Melabrin's liver (be it hers or stolen by her from someone else) delicious to devour and he would also enjoy doing "other things" to her. >_> Melabrin's award is 10k gold and a date with Abominus, which to some extent cancels out the 10K. Mel, you have both our congratulations and our condolences.

Picture Worth A Thousand Words
Kaldreno the Forsaken, Former Knight of Lordaeron (page 1)
Forum Image
This entry tells a story. The forsaken warrior Kaldreno travels to Stormwind City, where he risks being killed instantly despite being a loyal subject of the Alliance before he was turned. He bears the crest of Lordaeron in addition to donning the standard human warrior garb. He journeys to SW despite having been forced to abandon his identity in life by (what I'm assuming in his case also to be) the plague from the Third War. Kaldreno's award is a Battered Hilt, so that he may relive another amazing story (or 10k gold if he doesn't want the Battered Hilt).

Working for a Living
TIE between
Bootskraper the Gladiator, Function over Fashion (page 2)
Forum Image
Forum Image
and
Strings, The Anti-Hunter (page 2)
Forum Image
Both of these entrants have good concepts that managed to circumvent WoW's tendency to cause all armor to all but shoot lasers from our rear ends. The pieces that they use are all very refreshingly modest, practical and believable. Bootskraper's and Strings' awards are 10k gold each. (Next time we see them they will probably be decked out in bling ;p )

Best Copy of an NPC
Bothild the Orgrimmar Grunt (page 4)
Forum Image
When I first saw this entry, I actually wondered why the NPC had the character's name over it. We felt that Bothild paid a great amount of attention to detail in recreating the Ogrimmar Grunt look, from outfit and weapon all the way up to her hairdo. At the Fashion Show, many people marveled at how she looked exactly like an Orgrimmar grunt. Bothild's award is 10k gold.

Judges' Choice Honorable Mention Awards
Exceptional entries that didn't fit in one particular category but deserved recognition

Thunderhowl the Naturalist (page 3)
Forum Image
Thunderhowl's green Naturalist set we felt embodies the sense of connection between a shaman and the world very well. Thunderhowl's award is 10k gold.

Matronya the Faire-Goer (page 7)
Forum Image
All of Matronya's outfits are elegant, with a mind on the practical look in the Azerothian universe. They are unique and colorful without being gaudy. Her sets stand out not only because they look good, but also because one can see and understand the design intent very clearly in them. The Faire-Goer transmog is especially eye-catching in a good way. Matronya's award is 10k gold.

Snakethorn (Kinegos) and the Barmaid (page 2)
Forum Image
This entry is more than comedic; it is also a raider's nostalgic tale. Kinegos was awarded 10k gold.

Relkir, Starlight (page 6)
Forum Image
Relkir put forth an impressive series of reinterpreted rogue armor. We all agreed that this is the best of his fantastic series, as well as being one of the better entries overall. Relkir was awarded 10k gold.

Rakvitz the Golden-Leaved Tauren Druid (page 5)
Forum Image
We felt that this entry has a gorgeous effect overall. It really displays the sense of Tauren druidism well. We were also impressed by his careful choice of backgrounds when presenting his entries. Rakvitz's prize is 10k gold.

Grand Prize
Alexanne's Wonder Woman (page 8)
Forum Image
Many of Alexanne's entries are very strong, and all of us were drawn to one or more of her transmogs. However, as we could only pick one, we agreed that Wonder Woman really stands out with the "WOW!" factor. It is stunning that Alexanne was able to create a concept that is far removed from the WoW universe. After all, it's not like we can find superhero tights just laying around as we would in a game like DC Universe Online. The look is very recognizable as an homage as well as being a very interesting concept to undertake in the first place. Alexanne was awarded 100k gold.

In an effort to raise some money for the RP community on the night of the event, we also organized some raffles open to both Horde and Alliance. Through the generous donations of our members and pillaging our guild vault, we organized four categories of raffles:

Small Ticket Items: These items were worth around 200g each, and the category was designed with the idea of "fun, small things" in mind. Some items in this category were [Spring Rabbit's Foot] , [Essence of Destruction] , batches of [Deepstone Oil] , etc. Boddi managed the Small Ticket Items raffles with the help of Irtwaz, who provided translating and collecting services for the Horde. The spreadsheet on which he recorded all tickets sold can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsR9GSk0mpA4dG9MTHhJRGpKdWFOVzQyYkRwQWZwM1E#gid=0

Medium Ticket Items: These items were worth between 500g - 1000g, sometimes a bit more. The intent was for these items to be used in fun and sometimes useful ways. Examples of items in this category were level 60 epics made from hard to find patterns, more expensive pets, level 85 BoEs, etc. Alexanne managed the Medium Ticket Items raffles with the help of Cybelda, who provided translating and collecting services for the Horde. The spreadsheet on which she recorded all tickets sold can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApeZnklNSEx2dG92cGxGX1dmelZkdHJ5cFk4RUhkSWc#gid=0

Large Ticket Items: These items were worth around 2000g and oftentimes more. There were entire transmog sets, Dragon Soul BoEs, VP items, Dragon Soul crafting patterns, coveted awesome-looking rare old world drops, etc. Serickson managed the Large Ticket Items raffles with the help of Acheron, who provided translating and collecting services for the Horde. The spreadsheet on which he recorded all tickets sold can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ary02PoFaJy0dGlHNjI3d01taUdRZU43bzN3U09YLUE#gid=0

Grand Raffle Prize: There was only one Grand Raffle Prize to be had, shared between Horde and Alliance. The prize started at a baseline level of a Heroic Madness carry with all desired loot included, with the stipulation that the content of the prize would improve if there was a good deal of interest in it. The Grand Raffle Prize did end up becoming a Heroic Madness carry with a [Life-Binder's Handmaiden] included in addition to all desired loot. We offered Horde players the option to bring any of their Alliance level 85 characters along as [Life-Binder's Handmaiden] will be account-wide in MoP. If a Horde player had won the Grand Raffle Prize without a max level Alliance character, we were going to buy a bundle of BoE mounts to give to that person. Kinegos managed the Grand Prize Raffle on both Horde and Alliance sides through dual-boxing his Horde character Wcman. The spreadsheet on which he recorded all tickets sold can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiHiIcPZwLa3dE9JZVFHYjNHakFWLTZsR2Q2VkVjc0E#gid=0

The raffle tickets for Small Ticket Items were 10g each.
The raffle tickets for Medium Ticket Items were 50g each.
The raffle tickets for Large Ticket Items were 100g each.
The raffle tickets for the Grand Raffle Prize were 1000g each.

There was no limit to the number of raffle tickets that one could buy.

In total, we collected 250,500 gold from the raffle, all of which went to be distributed amidst the RP community. We were very impressed and moved by the support from the community in this endeavor. We sold a total of 225 Grand Raffle Prize tickets, 213 from Alliance buyers and 12 from Horde buyers.

The lucky winner of the Grand Raffle Prize was Saersha. Look for her on her new [Life-Binder's Handmaiden] and sporting her Savior of Azeroth title soon! ;)

We wanted to conclude our recap posts by saying "Thank you!" to a whole bunch of folks. Happy

First and foremost, a big thank you to everyone who came out on the night of the Fashion Show. We had an amazing turnout of well over 100 people. Thank you all for being there and staying through the event. A big shout-out to Northrend Commonwealth & friends for that awesome arrival parade! We really appreciate that everyone was there to help make it a huge success and hope that everyone had a good time!

Next, huge thanks to the members of Dominion that volunteered to help provide translation and other coordination efforts for the Horde! Shout-outs to Cybelda, Acheron, Cuda and Irtwaz for staying through the entire event and diligently translating everything.

Also, a titanic thank you to the judges that spent so many hours reviewing all of the submissions and helping out on the contest!

Lastly, a super-mega-ultra thank you to everyone that put in a submission and helped to make this such a memorable event!

Last edited by Lerrielin on 2012/09/12 8:08; edited 1 time in total
Kalbuck

Wow! I'm honored that I was selected for a prize! Honestly, whoever wrote the blurb for my entry was dead on. That really is a part of Kal's personality. Thank you very much! It's very cool that my friend Melabrin won as well :D I regret that I wasn't able to attend the fashion show/awards ceremony. I'm having some issues right now that prevent me from playing, but I'd love to accept the Battered Hilt. I should be able to get online sometime within the next month, so if it's alright with you, I'm fine with it being mailed to me.

Thank you again! I'm superbly giddy about this.

*Does Forsaken salute*

Thank you for posting the recap information in the letter sent to me. I was unable to attend due to raid but had heard I won a smaller category. It's good to see what all was chosen and read the recaps on them, and I couldn't agree more with the overall. Wonder Woman was truly astounding.

Thank you guys all so much for putting this on, and it was fun looking for all those backgrounds I used in my screens. I put a lot of effort into that part of it so it was fun to see that in the recap Happy
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    <Warcraftier> Forum Index -> Fun Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: